How-to: Alessandra Ambrosio's Victoria's Secret waves
The 2013 Victoria’s Secret runway show has just wrapped for another year and like every year, the Angels looked stunning.
They had perfect make-up, flawless skin and amazing hair and just like every other year, I coveted them. It wasn’t long before Instagram photos from the likes of Candice Swanepoel, Jess Hart and Alessandra Ambrosio started flooding our feeds and one look at Alessandra’s bouncy, flouncy hair told me I had to have a helping of the same.
I sought out the help of Anthony Nader, International Hair Stylist and owner of Raw Hair, and he delivered step-by-step instructions, so that you can get a similar look for yourself…
- On freshly washed hair, squeeze a tennis size ball sized amount of a firm hold foam and apply it through your hair from roots to ends.
- Blow dry your hair until it’s 80 per cent dry and then divide your hair in half horizontally and clip away the top half. Smooth over the bottom section with a large round brush as you blow dry.
- Once the bottom half is dry, unclip the top section and place it in a relaxed centre part. Blow-dry smoothly with a large round brush just as you did the bottom section but angle your brush upward to achieve extra ‘lift’ from the root area.
- Grab your barrel tongs and take chunky haphazard sections of hair on a diagonal. Wrap small sections of hair around the tong from the roots to the ends and hold for a few seconds. For an extra flick, leave the ends of your hair uncurled.
- For extra body, use a brush to backcomb the roots of your hair before smoothing them over by brushing through lightly with a brush.
Anthony’s handy hints to achieve this look
- Having two different sized curling tongs is the key to having your waves look naturally bouncy and not too formal. Use a large and medium sized tong.
- It’s very important to curl your hair on a diagonal, as going down a horizontal line can make your hair look flat on top with rippled curls, like Cleopatra. Be haphazard – it’s the key!
Products we recommend to create this look:
Image source: Alessandra Ambrosio's Instagram account (@alessandraambrosio)
Would you like to be able to achieve this look with your hair? Which Victoria's Secret angel do you like the best and why?