How to wear blue mascara (and not feel like you're stuck in the 90s)
I’ll admit it; I was more than a bit hesitant to try blue mascara. Because it’s totally something that happened in the 90s and no one actually wears it anymore, right?
Wrong, so it turns out.
See, coloured mascara has slowly been making a comeback and, as luck would have it, actually looks pretty cool these days.
Case in point: day one of my blue eye make-up challenge (five days of wearing a different blue eye look each day), when I tried out some blue mascara.
I was expecting bright blue lashes that you couldn’t miss when I applied the Australis Meglash Mascara in Electric Blue, but instead I got a subtle pop of colour that made my otherwise simple make-up look a bit jazzier. From a distance, you’d think my lashes were run-of-the-mill black, but close-up you can see that hint of blue that packs just the right amount of punch.
So here’s how you can make it work for you:
1) Lightly line your top and bottom lash lines with a black pencil eyeliner. You want to keep this light so that the black doesn’t detract from the blue of your lashes.
2) Take your blue mascara and apply one coat from root to tip, wiggling the brush as you go so as to separate your lashes.
3) Apply a second coat to add extra intensity to your blue lashes.
4) If the blue still isn’t blue enough, add another coat.
5) Finish off the look with a natural lip colour – not only do you want your lashes to be the focus of your look, but too many colours is a recipe for disaster.
Handy hint: for an even more subtle effect, you can just apply the blue mascara to the tips of your lashes.
You can also try:
Blinc Mascara in Dark Blue
Face of Australia Big Lash Mascara in Electric Blue (only available in Kmart)
Dior Addict It-Lash in It-Blue, $52, 02 9695 4800
Ardell Colour Impact Lashes in Blue
Katy Perry Colour Pop Lashes in Ka-boom!
And if you’re looking for longer-lasting results, try Love Those Lashes lash extensions in blue (from $99, 1300 527 437).
Have you tried blue mascara? Would you try blue (or any other colour) mascara?