I tried a jade roller from Amazon and here’s what happened
Keeping up with beauty trends is all part of a day’s work at beautyheaven, so when Jade rollers became an overnight beauty trend, I had to buy one from Amazon. I knew facial massage was an effective way of stimulating the skin to create a healthy, glow, but the jade roller kicks it up a notch.
I quickly scoured Amazon, one of my most trusted beauty portals, for the best jade roller to buy. For around $14, I bought two jade rollers and a Gua Sha Set facial massager skin roller slimming tool. Since it came from the US, it took about two weeks for it to arrive.
I used the jade roller as part of my nightly skin care routine. After I cleansed and applied my serum, I moved the roller over my face, in four sections. Starting with my forehead, then down both sides of my face, and lastly, down my neck, I did it three times. The jade roller had a cooling and soothing effect on my skin and made it look a bit more glowy than usual. But I’m not sure how effective it was when it came to enhancing the penetration of my serum.
To find out exactly why and how you should use a jade roller, we chatted to one the jade roller's #1 fan, Jeannie Bourke of Venustus.
What are the benefits of using a jade roller?
The jade roller has a rich history that goes as far back as 6th Century China, representing, wisdom, balance and peace. “It is a calming crystal that is known as a dream stone”, says Jeannie. “Jade rolling has so many benefits including improved circulation, skin tone and elasticity plus a reduction in puffiness, wrinkles and dark under eye circles.” The roller is also great at helping to eliminate toxins and enhancing the benefits of serums.
When kept in the fridge, Jeannie says, jade rollers are also great for the post-care treatment of waxing, tweezing, threading and any skin that has anti-inflammatory needs.
How do you use a jade roller?
“The jade roller is most effective if you leave it in your freezer between uses,” says Jeannie. “This cooling massage stimulates the blood supply to the area, which increases the oxygen level and improves the overall tone of the skin.”
Here are Jeannie’s tips for correctly using it:
- Apply facial serum all over your face.
- The movement must be performed very, very, very lightly. If you work firmer, you are no longer working on your lymph system. They are not muscle movement tools, nor are they pain relief tools, they are made and designed for light lymphatic movements.
- Using the larger end, start from the temple, gliding down the side of the face, down the side of the neck and all the way to the underarm (lymph gland). Do this three times.
- Then repeat on the other side of your face.
- From the centre of the forehead, roll the jade out towards your hairline. Do the other side.
- When it comes to under your eyes, use the smaller end of the dual head, working it from the centre of your face, under the eye, and out towards your temples. Do this three times.
Here’s how often you should use your jade roller:
- Puffy eyes - morning and night
- Eliminating toxins - every morning and evening
- Enhancing serums penetration - morning and night
- Everything else 1 - 5 times a week